By following these simple steps you can make your own solar viewer.
- Age Guideline: 5 Years and Up
- Time Required: 30 minutes (Does not include drying time)
The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.
- Baader AstroSolar Safety Film
- Card stock
- Cellophane tape/glue
- Print out the template at the actual size (100%) on card stock.
- Cut out the pieces for your solar viewers.
- Cut out 2 squares from the AstroSolar Film that are slightly larger than the lenses on the viewer.
- Use tape or glue to attach the ear pieces to the side of the glasses. The printable template made has longer the ear pieces than necessary. Trim them down to the right size. Make sure to do this before you tape/glue them in place on your glasses.
- Now fold down the other side of your viewers to enclose the plastic lenses and ear piece ends inside. Tape or glue it closed.
After the last step you will be ready to observe the Sun.
Please ensure that there are no tears, scratches or holes in the viewers otherwise the Sun’s light may go through the viewer and cause damage to your eyes.